At Peekskill High School, our Core Beliefs are…
1. Students feel appreciated when…...they are positively reinforced, they are given a space that inspires learning and creativity, they are given honest validation, teachers value their accomplishments and struggles, they are listened to, they feel unique and accepted, a teacher relates information to their own world, when they know someone believes in them, when we seek their help, and when they are thanked for their efforts.
2. A good school is one that…...is safe, has a mission to meet all its students, has teachers who want to teach, communicates and has good leadership, is clean, is fun, has happy mature adults, has a nurturing respectful environment, is collaborative, takes academic risks, puts students first, works in the best interest of all students, students and teachers look forward to coming to, has positive energy, promotes community, pushes students, promotes all kinds of learning, offers intellectual and emotional support, is socially responsible to citizens, has no bias, promotes equality, and fosters pride in school.
...embraces all students, has high standards, maintains a rigorous curriculum, creates a safe/nurturing environment, has teachers who are trusted and encouraged to do their best, builds students’ independence.
3. A successful student . . .
...thinks critically, adapts to any environment, is a life-long learner and problem solver.
4. An effective classroom is one in which students . . .
...question/help/make connections, feel safe, show mutual respect, can operate smoothly with substitute teachers, have high expectations.
5. Students feel empowered when they . . ....are respected and can take over individual learning, are in control of learning, feel their contributions are valued, are given appropriate tools to succeed, are challenged, are encouraged to complete difficult tasks.
...are respected and supported, are praised with reinforcement, are offered choices, feel their voices are heard, are given opportunities to overcome challenges.
...feel everyone is safe and respected, feel everyone is able to succeed, are highly engaged, have structure, have routines, are able to take risks without fear of failure.